Tuesday 31 August 2010

Julie Child's Boeuf Bourguignon

Those of you that have seen the film Julie and Julia perhaps like me fancied giving the Boeuf Bourguignon a go!! Of all the recipes shown or mentioned on the film this one appealed to me as a must do (along with the boning of the duck which is an exprience I absolutely HAVE to try!)

Having spent a while searching for the bacon "chunk" I settled for the ready prepared lardons that the chunk was to be cut into anyway! Other than that there was no difficulty finding the ingredients. On advice from a friend who had already tried the recipe (and recommended the film to me in the first place) I didn't add as many small onions to the Bourguignon as the recipe stated - 18-24. She didn't feel they added to the end result and I have to say I was pleased I had taken her advice - I only added about 6. I will also admit at this point to a slight misread of the recipe adding 1 1/2 pints of red wine instead of the stated 1 1/4 pints. Apart from having to explain to my other half what had happened to, almost, his entire bottle of red wine this wasn't disasterous!

I decided to serve this with creamy mash potato although Julia Childs also recommends buttered noodles! This is one of my favourite recipes since stating the blog, along with the venison-less pie. It was absolutely gorgeous, loads of flavour, filling but not stodgy and such tender meat. I have already been asked to make this again and the leftover portion, reheated for lunch at work the next day, was clearly relished from the reaction the following evening!  

No comments:

Post a Comment